We are expanding our coverage of voices seen as under-served in traditional media by creating the opportunity to become our first ever dedicated race reporter.
We want a writer to be at the sharp end when it comes to appealing to our range of audiences, telling the stories that matter to our ethnic minority communities in this brand new role serving the south east of England.
Working as part of our brilliant team of writers covering sites including MyLondon, KentLive, EssexLive and BerkshireLive, you will amplify the voices of our underrepresented readers and create compelling digital storytelling about the issues which uniquely affect these communities.
This is a home-based opportunity however due to the nature of the role the successful candidate will need to live in the South East. We are looking for a senior reporter or a trainee and we are keen to hear from anybody who does not believe their voices are heard in traditional media.
What will the role involve?
- Cultivating contacts with Black and ethnic minority communities and a keen awareness of cultural events, significant dates
- Find and tell stories and features about local minority communities which engage as many readers as possible
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including article format, video, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication
Who are we looking for?
- A talented creative journalist with a passion for writing for all of our communities
- An understanding of the issues that face minority communities
- You are creative and passionate, with an awareness of quality digital storytelling
- You may have an NCTJ-accredited journalism qualification and will use it to generate content that engages local, diverse audiences and meets the standards set by Reach
- A driving licence is preferable for this role
So, who are we?
You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK.
At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What we can offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free well-being apps and coaching support
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Share save scheme
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Plus lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position