Forum is a pan-European initiative launching in 2020. Our goal is to create and nurture a much-needed European public sphere by providing our subscribers the most pertinent articles on Europe published by quality news publications on our platform. Forum makes all articles accessible to Europeans by translating them into all European languages. Learn more at forum.eu.
Forum is looking for self-starting and very adaptable regional editors to join our team and to lead our efforts throughout the continent ahead of the launch of our platform in early 2020. The Regional Editor is the local advocate for Forum, a trusted partner to the publishers in his/her region, and also in charge of putting forward the best journalism produced in his/her region, providing his/her translating and editing skills to ensure that all Europeans have access to the best articles in their own language about Europe, every day.
Tasks: As a regional editor, you are the ambassador of Forum in your region for all stakeholders, and will:
- Become part of the daily Editorial Board, as a key member of the Editorial team
- Select the most relevant articles from your region and co-determine the editorial line for the day
- Proofread, fine-tune, and edit all articles that are translated into English
- Produce editorial content (mostly on European affairs) for our platforms
- Build a strong network of key publishers in the region, who contribute their articles to Forum
- Support the member growth efforts and represent Forum at conferences and events in your region
- Support the Product team with feedback to develop and refine the platform
Profile: As part of a dynamic and entrepreneurial team, you should:
- Have a specific interest in and understanding of socio-political issues/narratives/debates in your region and Europe with experience in copy-editing, journalism, or a policy related field
- Have very strong editorial and copy-editing skills. While our Content Management System (CMS) will have “Computer aided Translation” (CAT) tools, it is paramount that you are able to add additional layers of quality control
- Have excellent English skills. You will ideally have a background in editing, literature, journalism, including strong attention to detail, high appreciation and feel for stylistically sound language.
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Be autonomous and self-starting
- Have connections to leading news publishers/editors in your region as well as knowledge of the media industry and an awareness of the major challenges for journalism
- You strongly believe in the role of quality journalism and free press in a dynamic democracy; you are deeply invested in the idea of a strong public sphere in Europe
- Our regional editor for the UK and Ireland would start working full-time between mid and end of January.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position