Newsquest, the UK's leading local media group, has announced a major new £1.5 million per annum investment in local journalism with the recruitment of 50 new digital journalist roles across the UK.
As part of this investment we are looking for a top-class regional SEO content editor to help lead its unrivalled local online coverage across the UK.
Every day our online news brands reach millions of people right across the country - almost 80 per cent of the local population - and you will be joining a team of driven, innovative digital specialists taking our content to the next level.
This role presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced journalist with a specialised knowledge of SEO to take the next career step and help shape our content, lead a brand new team of driven, innovative journalists and set an example of best practice by creating first-class search-friendly content yourself.
You will have ideally worked in a specialised SEO role at a national or regional publisher and be comfortable with spotting and analysing trends, as well as putting in place a detailed SEO forward plan with the help of your team.
We want our SEO journalist team to tap into the topics leading the national conversation - and shaping them - while making them relevant and insightful for local audiences.
If you want to lead a team delivering the sort of fast, agile and dynamic coverage optimised for SEO that our readers expect and deserve in 2021 - often before they know they want to read it - then this role is for you.
You will be passionate about digital storytelling, with a desire to come up with new and innovative ways of telling those stories using a vast array of different skills, tools and platforms.
Making content decisions based on data is a crucial part of this role, and you will be working closely with a dedicated data analyst to give you all the knowledge you need to direct your team.
Our hard-working journalists up and down the country are Newsquest's biggest asset. You will be the primary point of contact for editors and senior regional newsroom staff to keep them informed of your team’s activities and to gather feedback on your team's content in order to make it perfect for each local audience.
We want to give our readers the content they want to read, when they want to read it. Your job will be to anticipate this and use your sparkling writing skills to ensure our coverage is the best, and where local audiences choose to come first.
- Day-to-day management of a team of journalists and setting their content priorities
- Using your SEO skills to reach the largest possible audience
- Using search tools to research and understand the topics people are searching for
- Identifying topics in which local brands can legitimately become an authority
- Working with data analyst to make informed content decisions for your team
- Writing high-quality, accurate digital news stories, live blogs and features to deadlines
- Thinking creatively to come up with new story ideas and ways to deliver them to our audience that suit our digital platforms
- Building our digital audience following to bring our content to even more people in the community
- Spotting national/regional content that could resonate locally and making it relevant and interesting to our readers
- Monitoring social media trends and using tools to analyse social activity
- Devising and managing a carefully-plotted SEO forward plan calendar to ensure we don’t miss a beat
- Ensuring every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication
- Using analytics to identify what our readers like and what they want next from our coverage
- Keeping your team informed of progress and regularly hosting sessions to share ideas, best practice, success stories and skills
- Being the key contact for newsrooms around the country to ensure your coverage chimes with the local market
Ideally you will have:
- Excellent leadership and people skills in order to lead and enthuse a team as well as communicating with senior editorial figures
- A comprehensive understanding of search engine optimisation (SEO) and skills in producing content which works in search
- A firm grasp of data and analytics using a range of tools and platforms
- Background in news publishing, specialising in SEO and search content
- Skills in analysing that data in order to make quick and informed content decisions
- A knack for knowing what readers want to read, using both your keen news sense and data insights
- Passion for telling stories which will grow new diverse audiences
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write - and think - quickly under pressure
- A keen news sense
- Bags of ideas for how stories can be presented in the best possible way for our audiences
- An understanding of what audiences want, and when
- Excellent social media skills and the ability to spot stories and trending topics
- NCTJ qualification (including 100wpm shorthand)
- Excellent knowledge of relevant media law
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and listicles to long-reads and features
- A high level of organisation and the ability to manage your own diary
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the wider digital reporting team and take on board suggestions from newsrooms
Reporting to the digital content, social and audience manager, this role can be based anywhere in the UK. If this sounds like a role for you then please send your CV and a brief email to EditorialJobs@newsquest.co.uk by 31 May 2021.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position