The role: Reporter, EMEA Financials News
Grade: 9 (internal use only)
The location: London, UK
The team: The EMEA financials news team includes London-based reporters and editors, as well as journalists in mainland Europe, India, Pakistan and the Philippines. You will also interact with other members of S&P Global Market Intelligence's wider global news team. You will be surrounded by experienced journalists and analysts committed to accuracy, fairness, timeliness and relevance. It's a fast-paced newsroom environment that is congenial and professional.
The impact: S&P Global Market Intelligence seeks an experienced German-speaking reporter with a passion for financial news and journalism to join our Europe, Middle East and Africa financials news team.
You will write impactful, insightful stories about the Europe, Middle East and Africa banking and financial services industries, with a particular focus on German-speaking countries. Our real-time, subscription-based news service reaches an influential readership that includes investment bankers, buy- and sell-side teams, C-suite professionals and regulators. Our massive database of market, regulatory and corporate data offers ample opportunities to enhance and drive our news content.
We comb through regulatory filings, attend top industry events and monitor market trends to bring readers the information they need to know. Our comprehensive and timely news gathering operation, combined with our enterprise journalism, creates a unique news source essential to any sector-focused professional.
In this role, you will help shape our daily content by developing fresh story ideas, delivering sharp, concise copy and building articles that make use of our in-house data sources. You will cover a range of topics including M&A, capital markets activity, ESG, digitalization and regulation, with a sharp focus on accuracy, and to tight deadlines. You will also be able to distil complex ideas, and be able to dig into economic/political/technological developments to find connections with the financial sector. The ideal candidate will have industry knowledge, an extensive network of contacts and will love to brainstorm story ideas and thrive on collaboration.
What is in it for you:
- Explore a highly rewarding career path with room for professional growth, recognition and rewards
- Utilize our extensive database of market, regulatory and corporate data to enrich your ability to deliver high-quality news
- Brainstorm with colleagues who share deep knowledge and passion about the sectors they cover
- Enjoy a competitive benefits package, including annual, performance-driven bonuses and a flexible working culture
- Regularly pitch workable story ideas
- Write long-form stories and data-driven analyses, as well as some breaking news
- Collaborate with data journalists to find ways to incorporate data into stories, driving our news beyond the headlines
- Collaborate with production team to craft creative infographics and visuals
- Work with other reporters to help share knowledge and contribute to cross-sector stories and longer-term projects
- Attend conferences, further build out your book of contacts/sources, and research topics in your coverage area
What we are looking for:
Basic qualifications and experience:
- Strong writing skills and a strong command of journalistic practices (AP style, libel issues, etc.)
- Several years' experience working in business journalism
- An affinity for analyzing numbers, using in-house data intelligence, financial reports and other industry information
- Effective communication skills: You will need to collaborate with a wide group of team members, some in the same office and some located elsewhere
- Native-level (or near-native-level) spoken and written English skills
- Native-level (or near-native-level) spoken and written German skills
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- Experience covering the EMEA financial sector a big advantage
- Experience working with remote teams
- Fluency in other European languages would be an advantage, especially French, Spanish and Italian
*Candidates will need to pass an in-house reporting test prior to interviews with the hiring team.
S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence.
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy (“the Policy”) that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some Divisions, pursuant to the Policy's requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
Equal opportunity employer:
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position