Do you want to work with one of Britain's best-loved and most trusted news brands in one of the country's busiest and most vibrant newsrooms? The Liverpool Echo already has a large, loyal and engaged readership and now we are looking for committed and creative reporters (both trainee and senior level) to help us step up to the next level.
Ideally a senior, we are looking for an experienced and passionate journalist. We want someone who is as comfortable covering court and reporting live on-camera from breaking news scenes as they are sourcing real life stories and writing identity content that resonates with our local audience.
We also have a trainee position which will suit an enthusiastic self-starter full of ideas and brimming with enthusiasm.
The successful candidate will have a passion for storytelling, a desire to experiment with new and innovative techniques and the ability to inform and inspire our readers and make a real difference to their lives.
We are looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds and candidates who understand the issues that are important to our region's very many different communities so we can continue to really diversify our content.
What will the role involve?
- Find and tell stories about local communities which engage as many readers as possible, or stories which will be of interest to local communities
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs, article format, video, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor's Code of Practice
What are we looking for?
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent (or relevant work experience)
- Digital publishing skills - working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures
- Social media skills - following on social media, track record of building communities on social media
- Passion for digital storytelling in local journalism
- Strong track record in telling stories, accurately, which engage large audience
- Knowledge of SEO or a willingness to learn
- A full driving licence
So, who are we?
Liverpool Echo is part of Reach plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK.
At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Free well-being apps and coaching support
- Share save scheme
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position