Do you want to work in one of the country's most vibrant newsrooms covering the best city in the world? The Manchester Evening News is already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience but we want to get even bigger.
We are looking for an experienced journalist with a passion for news, excellent storytelling skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
We want to tell stories from across the many communities we serve and we’re looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from all backgrounds.
You need to be comfortable covering crime, going to court hearings and also creating longer reads that tell the stories that really matter to our readers. We encourage creativity and would like someone who is good with people and understands how to tell their stories so they have maximum impact.
This is a shift-based job which will include some weekend and evening work on a rota with the rest of the team.
- Finding you own stories
- Building a network of contacts
- Covering live breaking news
- Understanding how to identify the stories that people want to read
- Elegant storytelling, writing in a clear and accurate way
- Providing quality content to tight deadlines
- Having a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot stories
- Understanding the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understanding the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintaining the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC’s editorial and company policies
- Maintaining a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
The ideal candidate
- NCTJ qualified or equivalent (or relevant time-served experience)
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent writing skills
- A good understanding of SEO or willingness to learn
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Full driving licence
So, who are we?
The Manchester Evening News is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers.
From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Simply Health cash plan
- Free well-being apps and coaching support
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position