CheshireLive is the county's best-read news site and is looking for a reporter with the skill, determination, and flair to take on an exciting opportunity within our newsroom's new Warrington brand.
The team is looking for an experienced reporter who relishes a challenge and will quickly make themselves the authority on all things Warrington. Whether it is news, events, politics, celebrities, or community issues, if it happens in Warrington, they will be the one to find out about it and break the news to our ever-growing audience.
The successful candidate will be adept at managing their own time, working unsupervised, making contacts, will have an excellent nose for a story, and will generate a broad range of content that will inform, engage and entertain readers. Social media and digital publishing skills are a must, and this role requires someone as comfortable dealing with a fast-moving breaking news story as they are taking time off-diary for high-impact, agenda-setting stories.
As the Warrington reporter, the successful candidate will write content that will build a loyal audience that will come back to the site time and time again. They will be responsible for making sure that CheshireLive's Warrington brand is the only place from which to get the most important, engaging and entertaining content there is to be had from this vibrant, diverse and growing Cheshire town.
We are looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds. If you can own the challenge of helping us diversify our content and reach new communities, then this new and exciting opportunity is for you.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this, the role may close without notice, so please do not delay in your application.
This is a home working role however due to the nature of this role this reporter will need to be based in the area.
So, who are we?
This role is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers, from the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more).
Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Find and tell stories about communities that engage as many readers as possible, and stories that will be of interest to a local audience
- Be confident in breaking news scenarios
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs, article format, video, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor's Code of Practice
- Act up or cover in other roles as and when required by the business
- Uphold Reach's policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non-discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
The ideal candidate
- Digital publishing skills - working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures
- Media law qualification
- Accomplished live blogger would be an advantage
- Social media skills - following on social media, track record of building communities on social media
- Passion for digital storytelling
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Plus lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position