Optician, the UK’s leading weekly magazine for optometrists, dispensing opticians and the optical industry, is looking for a reporter to cover a six month Parental Leave contract.
This is an exciting and challenging role which requires a flexible and professional candidate to write news and features for the magazine and contribute to the Optician websites.
The successful candidate will have a hard working approach to their career, the ability to grasp complex subjects and understand the importance of accurate journalism.
Knowledge of the optical industry is not required but candidates should have experience of either news or feature writing or content provision to the web.
Applicants should also be able to demonstrate the ability to write about a variety of subjects intelligently.
In return Optician can offer the successful candidate a stimulating and mature working environment and the opportunity to develop a range of editorial skills.
They will also get the opportunity to write on topics ranging from the catwalks of Milan and Paris through high street retailing, NHS politics and on into the intricacies of laser eye surgery.
- Production of exclusive news stories
- Interviews contacts and key opinion makers both face to face and over the phone
- To treat with courtesy and respect at all times all sources of information
- Ensures that all facts are checked meticulously to avoid any risk of liable or misrepresentation
- Ensures that all interviews accurately represent the views of the Interviewee i.e. accurate notes are taken./recorded
- Writes up news stories, features and interviews to deadline
- Accesses company reports and planning applications
- Analyses and edits media reports
- Covers court cases of a medical legal nature
- Attends relevant press conferences
- Uses the freedom of information legislation to generate and develop stories
- Work in liaison with the News Editor and Editor
- Attends press conferences, medical meetings and events both in Ireland and abroad when required
2.Generation of Ideas
- Be informed on a daily basis of all the issues that may be of interest to the reader, through accessing the internet, national newspapers and magazines, radio and TV
- Keeps up to date with the latest developments in all areas of interest to reader by communicating on a daily basis with the core audience
- Develops own sources and contacts
- Liaises with the News Editor/Editor to discuss areas of the interest that may broaden the audience
- Liaises with the News Editor/Editor on areas which may be of commercial benefit to the organisation
- On an ad-hoc basis to write commercial features
To apply click 'apply online' now!