Legal Week – the leading UK title dedicated to the international commercial legal market - is looking for an ambitious London-based reporter to help drive our online news coverage and market commentary.
We need a bright and personable reporter capable of sourcing and writing accurate and engaging news, analysis and features for our website to tight deadlines.
The successful candidate will work as part of a friendly and enthusiastic team in London, and alongside our colleagues in the US, to uncover the biggest stories in a dynamic sector undergoing significant change. This could mean anything from uncovering sexual harassment at firms, to reporting on cyber attacks, to taking an in-depth look at how technology is transforming the profession .
The desire and ability to build contacts, break news ahead of the competition and write insightful commentary are absolute pre-requisites for the role; an interest in the City and business in general would also be a distinct advantage.
Legal Week writes about the largest UK and international law firms from a business perspective – the key deals, trends, individuals, financial results and strategic developments – so familiarity with analyzing data would also be helpful.
A core element of the job is breaking off-diary stories under real-time pressure but reporters are also expected to work on longer form features and analysis for the website
This position would be ideal for a trained reporter with some journalism experience but we will also consider talented journalism graduates with less formal experience. Knowledge of the commercial legal market would be an advantage but is not essential. Some overseas travel may be required.
- To monitor an assigned group of leading UK and US law firms
- To build a strong base of relevant contacts within these firms in order to gain a deep understanding of the market and to find the biggest stories
- To interview senior figures within law firms
- To break high quality off diary stories on these firms to tight deadlines
- To write daily news for Legal Week’s website
- To write weekly interviews/features or analysis for the site
- a confident manner with excellent networking skills
- the ability to juggle a variety of roles and adapt at short notice
- the authority to represent the brand externally in the UK and overseas when required
- a commitment to producing quality off-diary news and analysis, a good worth ethic, accuracy and professional integrity.
- General understanding of the commercial legal market and business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Up to two years’ experience with another publication or a recent journalism graduate.
- Degree-level education plus a post-graduate qualification in journalism
- Ability to well work in a team and take direction.
How to apply
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Discover where your talent fits best at ALM…
At ALM, we’re reinventing the way professionals use information, news, data, marketing solutions and events to manage the business of business. That requires creativity, collaboration and innovation. Headquartered in New York City with 18 offices worldwide, ALM brands have been serving their markets since 1843. Join our team of talented ALMers working to create exceptional experience for our audiences and customers across the globe.
ALM provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ALM complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.