The award-winning Citywire New Model Adviser®, the magazine and website for professional financial planners, is looking for a news reporter. You will join a friendly, lively and hard working team who work closely with one another across print and online media.
Citywire is a leading global provider of independent intelligence and insight about asset management. Our events, news, technology and analysis inform asset managers, investors and intermediaries around the world about the changing shape of a $75 trillion industry that channels the investments of millions of individuals, businesses and institutions.
Through NMA, Citywire also serves the UK financial planning profession, and its associated industries such as pensions, insurance and investment.
We are looking for an individual with a can-do attitude and methodical approach to work. You will need to be well organised, with daily deadlines; last-minute news alerts; external meetings; podcast and video recordings; 'ring arounds'; industry events and other occurrences such as court reporting and attending media briefings.
You will need to have good numeracy and writing skills as well as the ability to think critically and analytically. It is crucial you are a team player, happy working closely with others, collaborating and helping out where necessary for the good of the team and the publication (getting your hands dirty).
You will break exclusive and off-diary news on the title's website using research and relationships. You will write long-form analysis and feature articles for print and online on a weekly basis, and interview key figures in financial advice and associated financial services such as insurance and asset management.
You will piece together information from company reports and investment data to tell eye-catching and revelatory stories.
And you will be contributing to a lively but highly co-operative team in a fast-paced environment.
This role will require you to:
- write news articles, sometimes to tight deadlines, as well as well-researched analysis pieces and other features;
- develop relationships with industry contacts and regularly leave the office for meetings and events (or their virtual equivalents);
- be regularly involved in recording podcasts and video content for the website.
Job specific skills / technical skills
- ability to write clearly and in good English;
- a love of news reporting;
- patient approach to gathering and organising information, and ability to tell a story by interpreting data;
- ability to work collaboratively in a team as well as independently;
- a good grasp of numbers and basic maths, leading to an ability to grapple with financial statements when in post;
- confidence speaking in front of a camera or microphone, and willingness to engage in public speaking opportunities as they arise (training and support for all these things is provided by Citywire).
Previous experience and profile
Some previous experience as a reporter is desirable. However, it is possible the right candidate might have a slightly different background, perhaps having attended a journalism school, worked in an associated industry or possesses other relevant experience. NCTJ qualification would be advantageous but is not necessary. Citywire supports further training and development.
Who we are
Having a common set of values sets the tone of everything we do and how we do it. These values should feel intuitive and natural - conversely not supporting these values is a serious problem!
Honesty, integrity, fairness and respect are four core values. We can and should disagree with one another, in the interests of getting the right answer. Arguments for truth, not ego. We should always focus on sustainability at every level of the company.
Excelling at your job will contribute to high performance at Citywire. You should have a continuous and constructive spoken dialogue with your manager about your performance, with particular reference to these behaviours: A positive approach; collaborating with colleagues; a make it happen attitude.
We offer a competitive salary and additional company benefits:
- 25 days' holiday per annum (rising to 28 days after three years' service followed by 30 days after five years' service) plus bank holidays.
- Competitive private pension scheme.
- Well-being: access to an independent Employee Assistance Programme available 24/7.
- Well-being activities and subsidised gym options. We will help with your monthly costs.
- Cycle-to-work scheme and annual ticket travel card loans.
- Techscheme, which lets staff buy the latest tech through their employer. Employees can spread the cost with payments from their salary across 12 months and make a National Insurance saving too.
After two years' continuous service you will also have access to private health and dental care insurance, group income protection, critical illness cover and group life assurance.
On top of this…! We have a personal trainer who runs virtual workout sessions during lunchtime weekly.
Please do not miss our Youtube channel where we say a lot about us: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMOUK4uLN7yZU8j79l4zcg
* Please note all our benefits are based on a regular office operations situation. Some of them may not be applicable until the UK resumes normal business operations.
Pre-selected applicants will have to undertake 2 psychometrics tests.
Interviews will take place via Zoom/Teams.
Citywire is an equal opportunities employer.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position