About Civil Service World and Dods
Civil Service World exists to help civil service leaders and managers understand their working environments and achieve more in their jobs. We have covered the ins and outs of government for more than 15 years, and have a range of digital, print and multi-media platforms.
CSW is published by Dods Group Ltd, a global political intelligence company with bases in Westminster, Holyrood, Brussels and Paris.
We believe it is people that shape the future of our democracy, so we made it our business to inform, educate and connect people to enable better decision making.
We are an 'honest broker', the dynamic conduit running from boardrooms and business insiders, through to the key movers and shakers across governments, politics and policy, enabling more informed decision making and increased participation in the process.
Utilising cutting-edge technology and granular data analysis, we uniquely offer fast, accurate and relevant content covering all the latest political developments shaping policy, regulation and legislation across Europe and the UK via our various intuitive channels including award winning publications, events, training and monitoring services.
If you want to understand the business of politics, then come to Dods because politics is our business.
Purpose of the role
The reporter is responsible for providing original journalism covering the issues to matter to decision makers in government.
They are responsible for writing engaging news stories in a distinctive and shareable fashion, undertaking interviews with senior civil servants and developing insightful feature ideas.
- Produce ground-breaking news stories that meet CSW’'s mission to keep civil servants informed about what’s happening across government.
- Break stories that have impact, covering the people, agendas, policies and reforms that - for good or ill - affect the civil service and government.
- Use social media to tell stories and lead the online conversation.
- Develop an understanding of how government and the civil service works, and what the audience needs from CSW content.
- Build contacts across the civil service and government to both break news and develop in-depth feature ideas.
- Work with colleagues across the editorial team to ensure CSW content is as good as it can be, including editing copy and proofing print magazine pages.
What we are looking for
- Minimum two years' experience at a professional news organisation.
- A deep understanding of British politics, including interest in the civil service and government policy.
- Degree or postgraduate diploma in journalism or equivalent experience in a professional environment.
- Excellent news judgment.
- A clear plan in terms of the subject areas you wish to cover.
- Deep understanding of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc - and how these platforms play a role in the news.
- Understanding of how and why news goes viral and be able to demonstrate effective use of social media to promote work.
- Thorough understanding of media law - copyright, defamation, privacy etc.
What we offer in return
- 25 days' annual leave, plus Bank Holidays (currently eight).
- Life assurance of 4x salary.
- Corporate gym membership discount.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Season ticket loan.
- Benefits discount portal (savings on retail).
- Exclusive Shard member discounts.
- Government workplace pension scheme.
- Virtual GP.
- Employee assistance programme.
- Wellbeing activities, such as yoga, mindfulness.
- Opportunity to sign up to the Training Events Dods deliver to the external market.
- Charles Dods employee awards.
- Employee referral scheme.
- Social activities, games area and great coffee.
How to apply
We are committed to equality and diversity and encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities.
To be considered for this position, please apply directly through our dedicated recruitment portal.
To find out more about your next employer, visit www.dodsgroup.com.
No agencies please
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position