Full-time role, home-based
Do you want to work for the most exciting media company in the business, covering the best country in the world? The dailyrecord.co.uk is already the largest news website in Scotland and Glasgow Live and Edinburgh Live are the best-read titles in their cities - but we want to get even bigger. We are now launching Aberdeen Live and need journalists who are passionate about the city they live, work and play in.
As part of our ambitious growth plans, we are looking for experienced live reporters to join us in finding and reporting on the issues which matter most to readers in Aberdeen. As well as covering breaking news, you will deliver exclusive off-diary stories written in a way that ensures as many people as possible see and respond to our work, helping us to have a positive impact on the communities we serve. You’ll have a proven track record of original stories, the ability to work at a fast pace and enthusiasm for helping to launch a brand new digital news title that is all about Aberdeen.
We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this, the role may close without notice, so please do not delay in your application.
So, who are we?
This role is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more).
Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Find and tell stories about communities that engage as many readers as possible, and stories that will be of interest to a local audience
- Be confident in breaking news scenarios
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Tell stories in many different ways, including (but not limited to) real-time live blogs, article format, video, audio and pictures
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor's Code of Practice
- Act up or cover in other roles as and when required by the business
- Uphold Reach's policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non-discrimination are upheld in everything we publish
The ideal candidate
- Digital publishing skills - working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures
- Media law qualification
- Accomplished live blogger would be an advantage
- Social media skills - following on social media, track record of building communities on social media
- Passion for digital storytelling
- 25 days' holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Inclusion Networks and Champions, giving all employees a voice
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Plus lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position