Fast-track your reporting career
Break news on the biggest stories for a global audience
Join one of the world's most trusted news brands
Applications are now open for the Reuters Trainee Programme 2020. We’re looking for smart, ambitious graduates or early-career reporters to join our global team of 2,500 text and visuals journalists and tell the stories that matter.
Our news reaches a global audience of more than 1 billion people each day. From politics and finance to sports and showbiz, we are committed to fast, accurate and independent reporting. In everything we do, we strive for insight and impact.
- Scheme lasts 9 months, starting September 2020
- Intensive month of training in London, then 8 months in a Reuters newsroom in one of the following countries: China, Singapore, UK, Mexico, South Africa, Egypt, Lebanon or United Arab Emirates
- Opportunity to become a staff correspondent or video journalist if you perform strongly
- Applications due by Sunday 15th December
- Participants selected by April 2020
- Successful candidates will be remunerated in the currency of the bureau in which they are placed, in line with global Thomson Reuters policies
- Clear commitment to a career in journalism
- Proven ability to tell rich stories in words, video or both
- Drive to build sources and break news
- Ability to generate original, relevant story ideas
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Fluency in relevant languages, e.g. Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, Farsi, Spanish
Other useful skills (not prerequisites)
- Up to 3 years of professional journalism experience
- Proven ability to generate exclusive, agenda-setting stories
- Experience of shooting or editing video
- Knowledge of finance and economics
- Experience in data journalism or investigative reporting
- Photography skills
- Additional languages (e.g. Portuguese for southern Africa)
How do you apply?
- You should apply directly via our careers site http://jobs.thomsonreuters.com
- Please ensure that your CV is no more than two pages long and written in English.
- All applications must be supported by a Cover Letter
- Applications open Friday 1st November and close on Sunday 15th December 2019 at midday (UK time).
Recruitment process & timelines
If successful, you will be taken through a structured recruitment process which includes:
- Initial CV and Candidate Profile Screen (November–December)
- Online Survey (December-January)
- Video Interview (January-February)
- Panel Interview (February–March)
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position