Newsweek is looking for a talented news editor to join its online team in London. The News Editor will be responsible for commissioning and editing news content for Newsweek.com and will contribute to the editorial agenda of the publication, ensuring that all content is of the highest quality. Managing a group of dedicated reporters, challenging them to produce quality content that reflects and builds on each day’s news agenda.
The ideal candidate values speed, accuracy, and original reporting in equal measures, has excellent attention to detail and thrives on the challenge of working in a fast-paced, breaking news environment. We are looking for a nimble, energetic senior editor to tackle a dizzying array of subjects, including world news, science and U.S. politics, and build on the success of Newsweek’s London bureau and continue to grow its readership.
More than a passing knowledge of the basics of digital journalism, including but not necessarily limited to SEO, social media, live blogging, video and fact checking, will be part of the successful candidate’s skillset.
- Line-editing original content for publication on the Newsweek website, including breaking news, explainers, opinion, ambitious long-form stories and other web features
- Copy editing, fact-checking and proofreading according to house style
- Writing web-friendly headlines that give stories the best possible chance of finding an audience
- Finding original stories and unique angles to ensure Newsweek’s audience is kept up-to-date and interested
- Managing reporters and working with them to improve quality of their copy
- Working as part of a team to make Newsweek’s coverage as strong and coherent as possible, including working with the video and social media teams
- Working quickly and diligently to make sure breaking news and events are covered as they happen, and finding new ways to cover stories after they have broken
- Ensuring web content conforms to best practice, including SEO. Helping to manage copy flow processes and deadlines. Liaising with senior editors to ensure that all web articles meet content and quality standards
- Raising legal queries with writers and editors
- Working flexible hours depending on the requirements of the news cycle (This role will sometimes require an early start; candidates should also be prepared to work some weekends and out of office hours if the news agenda requires it)
- Ability to build strong relationships across the newsroom
- Experience in a news editing position for a reputable publication
- Knowledge of U.S. media landscape; familiarity and experience editing U.S. news
- Ability to write using American English; some knowledge of AP style guide
- Excellent attention to detail, strong communication and organisational skills, and a steadfast adherence to deadlines
- Ability to get along with colleagues, building and leading an effective newsroom
- Efficiency in a fast-paced and highly collaborative news environment
- Strong knowledge of SEO, SMO principles and strategies
- Well-honed analytical skills
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below