The UK’s largest independent investigative journalism organisation is looking for a top-calibre reporter to dig into financial corruption and facilitation.
This role will be responsible for delivering hard-hitting, ambitious stories across print and broadcast. The ideal candidate will be a meticulous journalist with strong investigative and financial reporting experience. You will be full of story ideas, contacts and a solid portfolio of fantastic stories and reporting projects. You will be used to working in teams and have had some experience leading projects and editing copy.
It is an exciting time to join our innovative, mission-driven journalism outfit. This is an opportunity to build a new, high–profile project in a time of rapid expansion for our organisation.
You will be leading a new long-term investigation into the influence of overseas governments and oligarchs – predominantly from Russia and eastern Europe – on the UK’s political, civil and financial institutions. The reporting will examine the role the UK plays in enabling corruption and wrongdoing, and in laundering the reputation of those who engage in such practices.
It is a chance to work in a positive media organisation that cares deeply about facts and delivering change. You will be given time, support and resources to focus on one area of reporting for two years, to deliver great stories and award-winning journalism.
The role will be primarily based in our London office, but there is some room for flexibility. We are particularly interested in supporting and encouraging applicants from groups that are under-represented in the media and we are open to some flexi-working to help support parents and carers.
This is a full-time role for an initial two-year period reporting to the Bureau’s Global Editor.
Salary depending on experience.
- Lead a two-person team delivering hard-hitting investigations
- Bring in and land major exclusives
- Manage reporting projects
- Oversee at least one other member of the team
- Build a strong contact base to help deliver stories and impact
- Represent the Bureau and the project at events and conferences
Experience and skills
- Proven track record of strong, investigative stories ideally in the areas of corruption, conflict of interest, financial malfeasance, or fraud
- Deliverable story ideas
- Good contacts
- Strong financial reporting skills
- Strong understanding of media law and journalism ethics
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Editing experience
- Collaborative team player
- Proof of good long read writing
- A passion for accountability journalism
Desirable experience and skills
- Presenting and public speaking
- Ideas for imaginative story telling
- Experience of secure communications and difficult reporting environments
- Great contacts in the anti-corruption community
Send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 6 December 2019
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position