Holyrood magazine is looking for an experienced journalist to be based in Edinburgh to be part of the editorial team and to support the editor in planning the editorial content for both online and print platforms.
As a journalist with Scotland's foremost political communications company, Holyrood Communications Ltd, part of Dods Plc, you will have at least three or four years experience working on a print title and will have experience of writing news and features for both on and off-line along with online editing skills.
This is an exciting opportunity for a journalist who would relish the opportunity to work at the very heart of Scotland’s political community and enjoy the unique relationship that Holyrood has established with parliamentarians.
The successful candidate will be able to work to speed across both news and features and provide content for print and online to the high standards expected of our award-winning, fortnightly magazine and its supplementary products.
While all members of the editorial team are expected to have a broad knowledge and contact base, there is also the opportunity to specialise in specific areas and to carve out a policy niche. For the right candidate, there is also the opportunity to step up as assistant editor and to provide additional support to the editor in terms of forward planning, ideas generation and helping to manage the team.
We are looking for a journalist who has energy and drive, is a team player, can write accurate copy, work to tight deadlines, has a deep understanding of policy, politics and how government works and who can demonstrate they have the potential to become an integral part of Scotland's award winning and highly regarded political magazine.
The candidate will have:
- A recognised qualification in journalism
- Experience of working on a print title as well as digital
- An understanding of Scottish politics
- A hunger for news
- An understanding of policy and the legislative processes
- The ability to balance a varied workload
- Well-developed communications skills
- An ability to work to deadlines
- An ability to write strong and accurate copy
- Meticulous attention to detail and first-class time management and organisational skills
- Experience of working individually and as part of a team
- Good contacts
32 Calton Road
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position