The senior producer is responsible for producing original investigative films for 101 East, Al Jazeera's award-winning Asian current affairs programme.
Working closely with the executive producer, this is a supervising producer role, overseeing the day-to-day operations and transmission output of 101 East, while maintaining the editorial, technical and legal/compliance standards of the network.
It also includes commissioning and acquiring content for TX and online.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Working closely with the executive producer, act as series producer to supervise all aspects of the production of Al Jazeera’s 101 East programme for television and online.
- Oversee delivery of editorial vision for the series which supports the channel’s and the network’s programming strategy and oversee its delivery at various stages up to and including on-screen and online.
- Plan and manage the in-house production, external commissioning and acquisition of content for 101 East to the highest possible creative, professional and ethical standards.
- Review and initiate story pitches for 101 East in line with the programme’s editorial vision, staffing and budget.
- Research and produce films for 101 East. This includes planning shoots, arranging travel, accommodation and equipment, booking contributors, researching interviews and recruiting freelance staﬀ.
- Produce programmes in the ﬁeld if required, including directing camera and technical crews, directing reporters and presenters.
- Commission and work with independent filmmakers around the world to produce 101 East programmes.
- Liaising and negotiating with distributors to acquire films for broadcast on 101 East.
- Structure and script footage, archive material and graphics into exciting and informative programmes, working closely with video editors and reporters/producers.
- Produce supporting content for 101 East programmes including online and marketing.
- Oversee transmission output of 101 East from early stage to on screen, liaising with all relevant parties to resolve problems and managing the workﬂows of team members to this end.
- Ensure all programmes are delivered on time, within budget and in compliance with all relevant technical and legal standards.
- Lead and mentor producers, assistant producers, researchers and interns and bring expertise to the whole team to develop skills.
- Outreach for the Al Jazeera network, attending conferences, events, and speaking on panels.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the workﬂow in the programmes department.
- Perform other duties relevant to the job as requested.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position