LGC provides the best possible insight to help councils transform local government and deliver better local services. Free from political bias, LCG experts investigate and analyse local government’s biggest issues.
Our growing subscriber base enjoys unlimited access to our digital information service LGCplus.com, regular news alerts, jobs, daily briefing and magazine offering insight, commentary, data, best practice inspiration and opinion on the most important issues facing the sector. LGC also brings key local government players together through the sector’s biggest celebration of excellence – the LGC Awards – and events including the Chief Executives’ Summit, roundtables and webinars.
Since 1856 LGC has been the independent voice at the heart of Local Government. Today, LGC’s digital services and networking events focus on most important developments and provide exclusive data and best practice to aid decision-making.
About the role:
LGC is seeking a reporter with political nous and strong investigative and analytical skills to join our agenda-setting news team, based in London. As a senior reporter you will have responsibility for several beats covering some of the most pressing public policy issues of the day. Within this role You will have the opportunity to get out and about around the country to develop contacts and generate exclusive stories.
Are you passionate about politics, but equally fascinated by how decisions taken in Westminster play out across the country? Would you relish the opportunity to report on some of the most pressing public policy issues of the day, from the government’s ‘levelling up’ agenda to the impacts of austerity and the fight against climate change?
LGCplus.com and LGC magazine are the leading information sources for decision makers in town, city and county halls nationwide. Our stories, including those on the future funding of councils and the crisis in children’s social care, are frequently picked up by the national press and quoted in parliamentary debates or reports. Key themes of LGC’s coverage include council finance, metro-mayors, central and local political battles, adult social care, children’s services, the future of the high street and how services can be transformed in response to diminished budgets. As a respected title with a history stretching back over 160 years, LGC enjoys access to some of the most senior figures in local and national government. In addition to its journalism, LGC also runs agenda-setting conferences and events, including the LGC Awards which is the biggest celebration of British local government talent.
- Staying on top of developments within your beats as well as generating exclusive news stories.
- Attending events in London and around the UK, including party political conferences.
- A Graduate journalism qualification is essential, and Shorthand also preferred.
- Ability to maintain reporting brief, including developing and maintaining contacts.
- Strong writing and analytical skills and ability to produce high quality, accurate work to deadline.
- Familiarity with the demands of journalism in the digital age, including social media.
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- A portfolio demonstrating how you have come up with ideas for journalistic investigations and undertaken them.
- Ability to analyse data to produce news stories, including using Excel.
- Ability to understand the complicated structure and systems of local government.
- Strong knowledge of public sector, especially councils, is desirable.
Please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re committed to EMAP being a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees. They include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, Cycle 2 Work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position