£37,000 + contributory pension
Full-time, 2-year contract (renewable)
Benefits: 25 days holiday; cycle-to-work scheme
Earthsight is a non-profit organisation committed to harnessing the power of primary investigative research and reporting to bring attention to pressing issues of human rights and environmental justice. Since emerging as a fully-fledged organisation in 2016, we have punched far above our weight, publishing a series of major investigative exposés on high-level corruption and links to global markets which have obtained high-profile media attention and led to formal investigations and government crackdowns in places as far afield as Ukraine and Paraguay, as well as changes in purchasing practices of major western corporations.
This is an opportunity to join a small, exciting and growing organisation. We currently have three full-time staff but will be expanding to six in the coming months. The position is initially offered as a two-year fixed term contract (renewable), but is expected to become permanent, subject to continuation of existing funding levels.
Earthsight is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to keeping careers in the charity sector open to people from a range of backgrounds.
We are looking for an experienced journalist and communicator to research, write and edit stories, build our relationships with the press and help ensure our findings get the attention they deserve.
- Carry out investigative research, both desk and field-based, on all areas of ES’ work
- Write up results of own and others research for publication
- Edit draft publications (press releases, reports) produced by other members of staff
- Provide strategic advice to senior staff on maximising reach of publications, inc via the traditional media and directly via own platforms and social media
- Maintain & seek to build social media accounts of organisation
- Actively build and maintain network of relevant journalists to whom stories can be pitched
- Keep abreast of other news & NGO reports in areas in which ES works
- Hire and manage consultants to assist with the above tasks
The job is based at our office in Shoreditch in central London.
- Experience of working to tight deadlines in a press office or as a senior journalist, ideally including in an international and/or campaigning environment
- Demonstrable ability to pitch stories to editors, adapting approach depending on circumstances
- Demonstrably excellent English-language writing skills, including an ability to tailor writing to different audiences and produce content of varying lengths to tight timelines
- Experience of carrying out in-depth investigative journalism, including the identification, development and protection of sources
- Experience of working in an international setting, especially developing world settings, and alongside international teams
- Educated to Degree level, or with equivalent experience, ideally in journalism
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong interest in Earthsight’s mission and activities
- Highly organised, able to manage multiple tasks, prioritising in order to meet deadlines
- Right to work in the UK
- Knowledge of international development, human rights, environment, natural resources or corruption issues
- Experience of working in a similar role in the charity / non-profit sector
- Experience of recruiting and/or managing junior staff or consultants
- Training in investigative journalism techniques
- Experience of carrying out research in high-risk environments
- Experience in managing and interrogating large datasets
- Experience of film-making or overseeing production of films
- Photography skills
- Web editing training or skills
- Person relationships with relevant media contacts (e.g. environment or foreign editors and correspondents at major outlets)
- Fluency in an additional language, especially French, Spanish, Indonesian and Russian/Ukrainian
How to apply
Please send your CV (maximum 2 pages) and a 1-page covering letter explaining how you meet the requirements by 5pm GMT on 25th February 2019. Applications must be emailed to email@example.com, putting ‘Senior Writer Job’ in the subject line.
We apologise that only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position