XEIM is the newly formed division of Centaur Media bringing together the following brands: Econsultancy, Marketing Week, Creative Review, Design Week, the Festival of Marketing, Influencer Intelligence, Fashion Monitor, Year Ahead, Foresight News, Oystercatchers, MarketMakers and Really B2B. XEIM’s mission is to advise, inform and connect the modern marketer to accelerate performance.
Design Week is the UK’s leading online design magazine. Reporting to the editor this person will fit into an editorial team of three, working alongside a reporter on a range of content.
We take design angles on national and international stories and are just as likely to cover government policy on design and design education as we are an inspirational design project.
This is primarily a writing role, requiring you to operate with a certain level of autonomy, bringing in leads and coming up with consistently strong feature ideas and series. You’ll meet designers and industry figures and attend press conferences.
You will be required to constantly think about how to create enticing, original content, and come up with creative solutions for digital publishing. As a small and collaborative team, you will take on exciting opportunities from the get-go. There’s a huge amount of potential for somebody to make this role their own and there are further opportunities for growth and development – particularly around editorial strategy.
- Generating story ideas from leads and writing features for the Design Week digital magazine;
- Seeking out and investigating stories while building your own contacts;
- Assisting in the production of online material: operating the CMS, tracking analytics, developing an understanding of SEO and social media, proofing, basic photoshop;
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances and contacting people for example product designers, graphic designers, exhibition curators and start-up company founders;
- Looking for press releases and announcements in addition to responding to tip-offs and calls;
- Attending industry events as appropriate;
- Creating multimedia content;
- Working with freelance Video Producers to create engaging content;
- Having a competency and understanding of Design Week’s social channels and how to share articles. This will include Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn;
- Checking stories for accuracy of content (e.g. facts, figures, people) and any potential legal issues;
- Ensuring articles are written in the house style;
- Sourcing images and graphics for stories;
- Helping to manage the reporter; and
- Occasional travel.
Key skills & knowledge:
- At least 2+ years’ experience in a similar role;
- Ability to produce accurate copy quickly and within deadline;
- Managing competing deadlines;
- Experience using website analytics software and an understanding of SEO;
- Solid understanding of multimedia journalism; and
- Market knowledge and strong contacts book, particularly across design.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position