The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a young, talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value. Our hugely successful SEO team sits at the core of our publishing operation and is constantly evolving, driving search traffic, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers. Our SEO editors work on a rota so regular evening (usually one week a month) and weekend (usually once a month) work is essential to this exciting, rewarding role.
- Act as a daily go-to person for journalists and reporters seeking advice or improvements to articles.
- Report each morning on the top SEO keywords and top pages/articles driving traffic.
- Make recommendations to journalists through the day around trending search terms and relevant keywords.
- Pre-plan for future articles and events by building out topics and doing keyword research for upcoming exclusives or events e.g. Olympics.
- Monitor trending data for newsroom suggestions and pass to editorial desks
- Optimise top pages for relevant keywords.
- Forward link top traffic driving pages to other more recent articles to encourage circulation.
- Monitor daily output and ensure relevant cross linking in articles e.g. ensure two other articles links in copy, relevant anchor text and links to topic pages. Either by editing themselves or by working with the relevant desk.
- Ensure articles and pages are correctly tagged.
- Build out topic pages and tag existing articles
- Edit or ensure that picture captions are suitably written and include crawlable/indexable data e.g. Taylor and Tom take to the skies in private jet vs The couple boarded her private jet.
- Edit and/or complete metadata on topics and articles.
- Editorial background ideally with experience in a digital publishing environment.
- Good understanding of the principles of editorial SEO.
- Familiar with some SEO tools EG Google Trends.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position