The Financial Times is seeking a journalist with a deep knowledge and interest in social media trends and best practices. This London-based role will help us to increase our global social media audience, innovate across our social channels and deepen engagement with our audience.
Our social channels have an audience of more than 17m followers across platforms, and play an important role in bringing traffic to FT.com and in strengthening relationships with our audiences. They also generate subscriptions and help us engage with subscribers.
- Plan and execute the FT’s social coverage of news events around the world. This will involve working in concert with the newsroom and Audience Engagement team in London.
- Identify the social media team’s news priorities and plan and carry out our daily social media coverage in consultation with the rest of the team and news editors in London.
- Produce and post social content across all our social channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), using analytics to inform decisions, and thinking of creative and effective ways to present FT journalism on our main and emerging platforms.
- Develop ideas for optimising and innovating our social publishing, with a view both on content and strategy, and you may lead in experimenting with new tools, platforms or formats.
- Help train colleagues in their use of social media, analytics and social listening tools.
- Regularly review and help report on the performance of our social channels, and work with the broader engagement team to maintain an updated view of growth across our platforms.
- 3-5 years of journalism experience
- Demonstrated background in building an audience through social networks and an interest in innovating across traditional and emerging social platforms
- Strong understanding of social media platforms, best practices and trends
- The ability to write clean, concise copy in a fast-paced environment
- Experience using social analytics to determine social ROI
- Familiarity with Crowdtangle and/or other social listening tools
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Skills in producing multimedia – understanding of Adobe Photoshop, Premiere or other media editing software is even better
- Knowledge of a large scale enterprise CMS a plus
Who we are looking for:
The successful candidate should have strong news judgment and an ability to react quickly to events, along with the eagerness to learn and try new things. S/he will have strong organisational skills and a passion for FT digital media, strong understanding of the FT’s journalism and voice.
All staff are welcome to apply for Editorial vacancies as part of a flexible working arrangement. If you believe this role can be managed part-time or as a job share then please provide details as part of your application. All proposals will be seriously considered. While approval will be conditional on the demands of the role and team, the FT is committed to being responsive to the needs of its staff and the different ways they may want to work.
Applications should be made via Workday by 22 August 2018.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position