Metro.co.uk delivers news, features, sport, opinion, and shareable content to a fast-growing global audience and we are looking for a talented social producer to join the London team.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a social media team and know how to build social communities and how social spikes can be reacted to quickly/innovatively and ideally created ourselves.
You will have a talent for picking up on trends before they gain traction on social and the confidence to relay those stories to the rest of the newsroom.
The ideal candidate will be brimming with ideas, enthusiastic about social video, and have a distinctive, engaging and fun writing style.
- Spotting stories with potential to go viral
- Consistently presenting lists with brilliant, original ideas
- Understanding social spikes and triggers as a way to source stories
- Building memorable off-site communities
- Helping to build a strong Metro.co.uk voice across our social output
- Understanding where journalism/social seeding/community management/UGC/social content/social management is heading
- Previous experience of creating engaging social posts and managing social accounts
- Exemplify social media best practice and educate colleagues to do the same
- Experimenting with new platforms/formats
- Creating, sourcing and editing viral video for social platforms
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable knowledge of social media, community management and of growing audiences
- Experience of work for a publication/site/blog/social page (please send links)
- A track record of community engagement and seeding to create loyal audiences
- Understanding of legal covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice, media law, copyright law and editorial guidelines in the UK and globally
- Willingness to work in a dynamic, fast-paced 24/7 news environment with flexibility to work unsociable hours as and when required
Suitable candidates will have experience in creating original content, social media desk experience and a proven track record of seeding articles in the right places.
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability are essential.
How to apply
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position