Location: Southeast Asia (Flexible Location: Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore)
Position: Regional editor
Hours: Three days per week
Contract type: Fixed term (12 months)
Salary: $145 per day (8 hours)
Start time: ASAP
Application deadline: 18 July, 2022
How to apply: Submit a CV, cover letter and portfolio to email@example.com with 'Application: Southeast Asia Regional Editor' in the subject line by 9.00am on Monday, 18 July. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and early applications are recommended.
China Dialogue Trust seeks an editor based in Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia or Singapore) to join its team, working remotely with our existing mainland Southeast Asia editor based in Thailand, and with our London office.
The ideal candidate would have a keen interest in climate change and environmental issues, China and international affairs. They would be proactive, highly organised and self-motivated, with relevant professional experience and networks – in journalism, research and/or policy – with excellent English writing, editing and verbal communications skills, experience with multimedia and/or social media and a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in their work.
China Dialogue (www.chinadialogue.net) disseminates high-quality information and promotes communication on environment and climate change in both Chinese and English. We provide a space for open discussion, with the aim of informing and educating international and Chinese readers, and contributing to building equitable and constructive solutions to global environmental problems.
China Dialogue researches, writes, commissions, edits and publishes bilingual high-quality content that includes extended reports, policy briefs, essays, blogs and book reviews on the environment and climate change.
This position would be working on our Southeast Asia project, and will focus on commissioning content that covers China's growing investments and influence in Southeast Asia, and risks associated with trade, extraction and exploitation of the region's natural resources and fisheries.
China Dialogue also works closely with its network of sister websites - China Dialogue Ocean, The Third Pole, and Diálogo Chino - cross-publishing relevant material in order to better serve our readerships. In the coming years, we plan to deepen these relationships, drawing on the resources we have established over the past decade to generate new synergies in content, from grassroots reporting to high-level analysis in a truly global dialogue.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to form a key part of China Dialogue Trust’s Southeast Asia work and join its growing global editorial team.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Significant experience working as a journalist or in a communications role for an NGO;
- Strong networks among journalists, NGOs and policymakers in the region;
- proven interest in and knowledge of environment and climate change issues;
- strong project management and problem-solving skills;
- flexibility and ability to multi-task, with strong verbal and cross-cultural communications skills;
- knowledge of one or more Southeast Asian language;
- ability to work independently.
- interest in or knowledge of China and international affairs;
- experience in web publishing, social media and/or digital tools;
- writing, researching and commissioning content about environmental issues in Southeast Asia, including China’s impacts in the region;
- liaising with China Dialogue editorial and production teams.
- Communications and marketing;
- developing syndication and content sharing relationships with regional and vernacular media;
- promoting content via social media and other publishing platforms.
- network building;
How to apply
Please send a CV with references, covering letter, diversity monitoring form and 2-3 examples of recent, relevant work or clippings to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be submitted in English.
The diversity monitoring form can be downloaded here.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position