Position: Special projects editor (Latin America)
Hours: Full time
Contract type: Permanent
Start time: ASAP
Application deadline: Monday 11 July, 9am. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and early applications are recommended.
China Dialogue Trust is seeking a special projects editor (Latin America) to lead the organisation's Latin America team, planning and overseeing editorial and the delivery of multiple special projects. This is a rare opportunity for a journalist and editor to join a dynamic and expanding global team with a unique reputation for pioneering high-quality and impartial reporting on the social, climate, and environmental dimensions of the China-Latin America relationship.
The Latin America special projects editor will write, edit, commission, and disseminate original and engaging stories that shed new light on the China-Latin America partnership and will help develop our existing network of contributors, and national and regional media partner organisations.
They will also oversee the strategic development of the Diálogo Chino website, identifying and implementing opportunities to enhance the reach and impact of its stories. The ideal candidate will have exemplary project management skills and strong leadership qualities, will be proactive, highly organised and self-motivated, with excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Leadership of the China Dialogue Trust's Latin America editorial team and special project researchers
- Oversight of coverage and editorial project deliverables for the Diálogo Chino website
- Managing copyflow and developing improved workflow systems where necessary
- Working with the CEO and COO on fundraising and strategy development
- Chairing Latin America editorial team meetings, reporting to wider China Dialogue editorial meetings
- Researching, commissioning, planning and coordinating editorial, including special projects
- Working alongside the assistant editor on sub-editing and proofreading articles
- Supporting the production team and assistant editor to prepare content for online publication
- Co-ordinating with production team on images and multimedia elements of content
- Supporting the production team and assistant editor to upload content to the CMS system
- Working with the social media team to promote content via social media and other publishing platforms
You may be asked to perform other duties as required by the CEO, COO and other team members from time to time.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the work and values of the China Dialogue Trust;
- An understanding of the political and geopolitical context of the Latin American and Caribbean region;
- Proven interest and literacy in environment and climate change, preferably with a focus on Latin America and the Caribbean;
- The capacity to lead editorial projects and to foster innovative approaches to knowledge sharing on global environmental problems and climate change;
- Strategic vision of the role of information in generating positive change and how to deliver for maximum impact;
- Flexibility and ability to multitask; verbal and cross-cultural communications skills;
- Experience in editorial commissioning;
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Ability to work independently and with teams across time zones.
- Experience in investigative long-form, multimedia, data or feature journalism
How to apply
Please send a CV, a cover letter in English and diversity monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis and early application is recommended.
The diversity monitoring form can be downloaded here.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position