We are looking for budding sports reporters to join our newsdesk team, with a view to advancing on to features and live commentaries in the future. Successful applicants will join on a self-employed basis and must be available to work at the busiest sporting times - namely weekends and evenings.
The role is a home-based one and ideal for university students, recent graduates or anyone looking to get their feet on the journalism ladder. Sports Mole provides the perfect opportunity to gain experience working in a fast-paced, breaking news environment - and you get paid to watch your favourite teams in action!
Successful applicants will be paid the national living wage on an hourly basis, to be submitted via an invoice at the end of each month.
Successful applicants will have:
- A passion for and deep-rooted knowledge of sport, especially football. Any specific interests in sports other than football should be highlighted in the application.
- A flair for writing engaging, informative and interesting articles at pace without compromising on quality.
- Strong self sub-editing skills - we trust our reporters to put articles live on the site before they are checked by the editor, so producing error-free copy is of paramount importance.
- Self-motivation and an exceptional work ethic - our reporters work from home and so therefore must be motivated to produce their best work without the presence of a manager. We are after someone whose own high personal standards demand that they drive themselves to perform shift in, shift out.
- A fast and reliable home internet connection is essential, as is access to an alternative connection in the event of the former being unavailable.
- The ability to source and select news suitable for coverage on the site. Access to sports channels, in particular Sky Sports News, is essential.
- A burning desire, commitment and ambition to improve their journalistic skills and make both themselves and the website better. The chosen candidate(s) will showcase a willingness to go above and beyond what is asked of them in order to improve.
Hours are allocated on a monthly basis and are dependent on the availability of the applicant and the wider team. The number of hours allocated per month is variable, but greater availability will result in more opportunities. Applicants able to work weekends, evenings and other busy sporting occasions will be preferred.
WHAT DO WE NEED FROM YOU?
To apply for this job, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A covering letter explaining why you would be suitable for the role. An example of your availability in a typical week should also be included.
- Your CV.
- Three news stories written in the house style. The stories should be written specifically for the purpose of the application - previous clippings/personal blogs will not be read. The samples should be news stories (not features, not match reports, not result articles) and at least two should be football news stories.
- Applicants should familiarise themselves with the site's style prior to submitting samples.
- Applications missing any of these components will not be considered or acknowledged.
2a The Chandlery
50 Westminster Bridge Road
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position