CGTN - the China Global Television Network, its English channel, and its digital media platforms were launched on 31 December 2016.
CGTN's aim is to provide objective, balanced, and impartial news and current affairs content, reporting the news from a Chinese perspective. We aim to differentiate ourselves from leading Western media organisations by pursuing a larger international vision; focusing on nations, regions, and stories often ignored by western media.
Our London office at Chiswick Park houses a well-staffed, digital and television hub producing news, online, and other content to feed into our global English language platforms.
We are now seeking a studio camera and lighting operator to join the team in London.
- Design and set lighting for live/pre-recorded news and programmes according to the director’s instructions, to ensure all colour schemes conform to CGTN broadcasting standards.
- Test the functionality of all necessary equipment before shooting live and pre-recorded news or programmes (ie camera, lenses, monitors, camera robotic system, CCU for each camera, lighting desk).
- Perform camera line-ups-matching camera parameters for colour, and exposure.
- Rig and operate a range of camera equipment.
- Deliver a high standard of gallery and talkback etiquette.
- Maintain studio lighting standards for all live and recorded programming.
- Ensure all systems are followed in studio lighting and provide insights to what is needed or broken.
- Be proactive in coordinating lighting needs with studio directors.
- Work effectively with other members of the crew.
- Demonstrate an awareness of health and safety.
In this role you will be expected to work varied shift hours including evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
With demonstrable experience working in a live and pre-recorded broadcast environment, you will have an expert knowledge of lighting boards, studio cameras and systems (preferably Shotoku Broadcast Robotic Camera Systems and ETC Ion Lighting desk).
You will also have:
- The ability to work flexibly, both on your own, and as part of a team, whilst remaining responsive to frequently changing demands.
- Willingness and ability to embrace new technology and acquire and adapt skills.
- Resilience to undertake duties under transmission pressures.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong knowledge and interest in news and current events.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Previous experience of working as a camera operator in news studios would be particularly useful.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position