- Proofing copy to ensure grammar and spelling is correct and consistent page numbers, headings and captions are correct photos and illustrations are correctly captioned.
- Laying copy in InDesign.
- Proof-read every page.
- Proofing the magazines before print.
- Writing advertorials for clients.
- Conducting interviews for stories and advertorials both in person and over the phone.
- Adhering to house style and adapting for advertorials.
- Organising emails from editor and contacts to ensure all strong stories are covered.
- Ensuring the magazines have a balance of editorial coverage (news, crime, features).
- Suggesting front cover ideas (headlines and pictures).
- Talking through the news list with the reporters and keeping them up to date with any changes to the list.
- Keeping the team informed as to what the ‘strongest’ stories are for each magazine and which have the potential to be leads or double page spreads.
- Informing the news -editor/design team of my ideas/visions for the layout and design of particular stories – i.e. DPs and SPS copy.
- Writing catchy headlines and picture captions.
- Liaising with the other reporters to keep track of what stories we are working on to avoid duplication and ensure a variety of editorial content.
- Sourcing images to run alongside my editorial.
- Ensuring the originality of all photographs (copyright issues).
- Keeping on top of the local and national news to ensure topical coverage and to find an ‘angle’ to current national stories that would work for our publication.
- Competent in InDesign.
- A passion for writing and publishing.
- Good news judgement.
- Able to work to strict deadlines.
- Strong work ethic as deadlines are tight.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Good communication skills essential.
- Reactive to hard and immediate news and proactive in difficult situations.
- Good time management.
- Good command of English grammar, spelling and comprehension.
- Excellent telephone manner.
- Must be able to multi task and work under pressure.
- Flexible with time, to ensure deadlines are met and to respond to the situation in the office.
- Good organisational skills.
Job Type: Full-time
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position