MATCH, the UK’s longest-running weekly football magazine, is looking for a Sub-Editor/Writer to join its team based in Peterborough.
The Sub-Editor/Writer will have a wide range of responsibilities on both the magazine and MATCH’s various digital channels. For print, they will be expected to come up with compelling feature ideas and write engaging copy for MATCH’s target audience. They will work on each stage of the production process – from pre-subbing and liaising with the design team, to sub-editing copy and proofreading each issue. They will excel at InDesign, have a good eye for detail and know their David Silvas from their Bernardo Silvas, their Nike Hypervenoms from their Adidas ACEs. They will also be great with grammar and be able to write witty captions, exciting sells and clever headlines. Most of all, they will be able to pick up the style and tone of a magazine aimed at football-mad 8-14 year-olds.
The Sub-Editor/Writer will also be responsible for MATCH’s online and social media content, including its website and highly-successful Facebook page. They will be required to conduct interviews with footballers, in person and over the phone, and attend high-profile matches to obtain social media content and player quotes for the magazine. The Sub-Editor/Writer will also be expected to liaise with other departments for the benefit of the brand. These related departments include retail, production, advertising, subscriptions and marketing, but may include others.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the smooth running of the magazine – from copy being written to features being designed, subbed, passed, created into PDFs, soft-proofed and sent to print by an agreed deadline.
- Managing MATCH’s social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat – on a daily basis, growing our following on each platform.
- Implementing a digital strategy and generating all content for the magazine’s website, including articles, videos, GIFs and adverts.
- Maintaining relationships with important clients and Premier League/EFL club press officers, and building up an extensive list of PR contacts, for example Adidas, Nike and Under Armour.
- Being ahead of the competition when it comes to all the latest football boot and kit launches.
- Attending football matches, including FA Cup finals and England internationals, and brand events for football boot/kit launches.
- Arranging and conducting interviews with Premier League footballers, YouTubers and celebrities.
- Supporting the editor and publisher on the brand’s editorial direction.
- Getting the magazine into a print-ready state and to print by deadline in the editor’s absence.
- Dealing with enquiries from MATCH readers via phone/email, using initiative to deal with questions and refer other queries to relevant departments.
Creative, organised, professional, enthusiastic, committed, commercial focus, good time management, interpersonal skills, idea generation, good written expression, ability to remain calm under pressure and exceptional football knowledge.
The role reports into the Editor, with an additional reporting line to the Features Editor, for feature ideas and copy.
How to apply:
Please send your CV, along with a covering letter to email@example.com
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.