Job type: Part-time, permanent, 22.5 hours/week
Reporting in to: Group Production Editor
Ocean Media Group is the market leader in social housing across print, digital and events. The portfolio includes the multi-award-winning flagship publication, Inside Housing, and Social Housing, a magazine targeted at senior finance professionals in the sector.
The sub-editor will work three days a week (22.5 hours) in-house, as part of the editorial production team, working on the layout and subbing of Inside Housing and Social Housing in print and online. The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring the magazines meet the highest standards of quality and accuracy.
The chosen candidate will have previous experience working as a sub-editor and have a meticulous attention to detail, whether that be while checking names, querying figures or verifying facts. They will also write and cut copy to fit and ensure the tone of the magazine is maintained at all times.
They will show creativity by writing eye-catching headlines, standfirsts and captions, choosing pull-quotes and contributing to illustration ideas in features meetings, and demonstrate resourcefulness by finding appropriate pictures.
Time management is crucial and the successful candidate should thrive under pressure, sub-editing breaking stories before they are set live on the website, while also managing a busy workload on the print side.
This role will suit someone who has been a sub-editor on a student magazine, or is looking for their first big break in their career as a sub-editor.
Please include your salary expectations in your application.
- Lay out pages in InDesign from templates
- Sub-edit copy with a particular focus on grammar, spelling, style, tone and factual accuracy
- Cut copy to fit
- Write engaging headlines and standfirsts
- Sub-edit online stories at short notice
- Question the author when copy is unclear
- Ensure potential legal problems with copy are identified
- Source photos from picture agencies
- Produce charts and graphs
- Passion for sub-editing
- Subbing experience on student magazine or something similar
- An excellent eye for grammar, spelling and factual accuracy
- Fluent in InDesign
- Competent in Photoshop
- Experience in magazine layout preferable
- Fast and accurate
- Used to working on a CMS
- Keen to learn and grow as part of a dynamic editorial team
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online button below"