Bleacher Report is one of Turner's leading digital businesses. B/R is the site and app of choice for the next generation of sports fans. The company attracts millions of sports fans every month with its fun, comprehensive, and entertaining team-based content. Since being acquired by Turner Sports in August 2012, the company has gained all the advantages of a large media company while maintaining its vibrant start-up culture.
About the Role:
B/R is seeking a temporary UK copy editor, aka sub-editor, to review sports content remotely (work from home) for the B/R app and social channels, supplementing our editorial quality control coverage during a four-month period that will most importantly include the World Cup and the world football transfer windows.
Copy editors are responsible for reviewing all content bound for these channels, assuring the highest quality in regard to writing mechanics, analytical arguments, factual/statistical support, copy editing, multimedia elements and formatting prior to approval.
Copy editors, aka sub-editors, must also communicate efficiently and effectively across teams to fix substantive issues. Successful candidates will possess the right balance of sports expertise, prior editing experience, familiarity with established editorial standards and practices, exceptional communication skills, and dedication to the team's mission to grow and protect the site.
This is a temporary position requiring 20 hours per week. Telecommuting will be considered for exceptional candidates.
The position requires a flexible work schedule, including the ability to work nights and weekends.
- 1-2 years of prior editing experience in journalism
- Expert knowledge in football and comfort in working with content about some of the U.S. sports covered by Bleacher Report
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- High attention to detail
- Experience with all forms of digital and social media; ability to quickly fact-check content and evaluate the credibility of source material
- Positive attitude, patient demeanor and ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Ability to work remotely and multi-task without sacrificing attention to detail
- Proficiency with the following (or similar) resources: Gmail, Slack, Google Hangout, Google Docs/Forms
- Degree in journalism, English, communication studies or related field
- 1-3 years of prior editing experience in sports journalism, including football (World Cup, Champions League, etc.)
- Direct prior experience or familiarity with Bleacher Report content, writers and programming channels (B/R app, social media pages, site homepage, newsletters, etc.)
How to apply
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Interested applicants should submit a resume AND a brief cover letter describing their specific qualifications for the position. Applicants who do not include a brief cover letter with their resume will not be considered.