About your new role
Sporting News is launching a new edition in the UK and is searching for a sub-editor to help co-ordinate its daily news coverage and SEO strategy.
Sporting News, a sports media publication that originated in the United States in 1886, has editions in Canada, Australia and Japan, and we are excited to grow our operations in the UK market.
This role serves as an assignment editor for daily trending news and workflow while co-ordinating digital journalists and helping with longer-term planning for tentpole events.
We are looking for someone who can identify interesting news stories and trending topics, and has a knack for thinking of creative ways to advance them. We need someone who knows when to react to breaking news as quickly as possible, and when to take a step back and help develop ideas for more in-depth coverage, explainer content and analysis.
The sub-editor also will be responsible for overall quality control of the site - they will know the style guide inside out and can spot errors in written copy with ease.
The candidate will have a strong understanding of best SEO practices and how to utilise data tools to maximise audience growth. The candidate should also be comfortable publishing content that transcends traditional newspaper-style articles, including live blogs and lists, and incorporating embedded video, social media posts, tables, graphics and data.
The sub-editor will be hands-on across multiple areas of content production: editing, writing, planning and publishing. Candidates must also be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, depending on needed coverage.
Here is a breakdown of what you will (primarily) do:
- Identifying, assigning and writing trending topics and news
- Editing written content for accuracy, style and grammar, as well as working with the team on effective headline writing
- Comprehensive SEO planning, editing and writing, including evergreen topics and tentpole events
- Coaching SEO best practices with content producers and writers
- Analysing data and trends to maximise audience
- Managing/updating events and content planners
- Helping develop ways to enhance user experience with embedded graphics, stats and social media
- Ideating with writers and editors on features and projects
- General site management across the UK edition
Do you have these essentials?
- Five-plus years of digital sports media experience
- Mastery of writing clean, concise copy that explains to readers what is happening and why
- Adept at writing engaging headlines that stand out - and how to make a boring one better
- Strong editing skills to improve a story, and the coaching skills to explain why those changes were made
- Comfortable working under pressure in a fast-paced news environment
- Sharp and creative news judgment instincts to discern interesting content from noise
- Understanding of SEO tools and best practices, and how to utilise them to shape content strategy
- An eye for smart data, graphics and other visual ideas to enhance storytelling
- Expertise in major UK sports and general knowledge of major international sports
Not essential but great if you also have:
- Social media content or multimedia experience
- Experience people managing or leading a content production team
- Knowledge of sports betting and gaming
- Flexible working arrangements
- Enhanced sick leave policy
- Five days' bereavement Leave
- Life insurance benefit
- 25 days' annual leave yearly entitlement
- You can carry over five days unused annual Leave to Q1 next year
About Sporting News, the company
The underlying ethos of Sporting News is positivity and passion for sports. To help drive those tenets, we have three core objectives:
- Create the best media experience for sports fans. Wherever you are in the world, whatever device you choose, we want Sporting News to offer the best fan experience possible through the creation of quality, interesting content.
- Develop a work experience that people want to be part of. We want to identify talented, motivated staff who work hard, enjoy their job, support their team… and have fun while doing it.
- Build a fantastic, growing business. We want to deliver for our brand and our partners while achieving our commercial goals, ultimately using our scale for good.
At Sporting News, we celebrate the diversity of our employees and our leadership. Sporting News is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Sporting news, the brand
One of America's most iconic sports brands, The Sporting News was founded in 1886 as a weekly US newspaper. Later transitioning to a magazine, it became the dominant sports publication, acquiring nicknames like "The nation's oldest and finest sports paper” and "the bible of baseball".
Sporting News is now a dynamic, global digital publisher offering a trusted perspective across multiple sports and topics all over the world. It features localised editions in the US, Canada, Australia and Japan with many more territories and languages on the near horizon.
Trusted and reliable; imaginative and clever; timeless and crafted: Sporting News' independence and credibility, along with its resilience amidst an ever-changing media landscape, makes it a leading multimedia destination for fans. That same approach creates a perfect partner for leagues and broadcasters/OTT to grow a qualified, engaged audience against their properties as well as deliver creative messaging for local and global advertisers.
Today, Sporting News is the official digital destination of the NBA across APAC, a premium publishing partner of DAZN, ESPN and Kayo, and the brand more than 30 million users trust for their sports content every month.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position