We are looking for a Trainee Reporter to join our lively newsroom working on our Comet newspaper Series in Stevenage. This opportunity combines sound news judgement and multimedia awareness to build on our reputation for insightful and informative community journalism.
The successful candidate will be expected to play a role in shaping our news coverage across multiple platforms. You will have a comprehensive understanding of how social media can play a crucial role in news gathering, promoting a brand’s position in its marketplace and engaging readers, and understand the benefits of video as a way of telling stories.
It is essential that you have completed your NCTJ preliminary qualifications and have (or are very close to) 100 WPM shorthand. You will be looking to make a name for yourself and push on to achieve full senior qualifications and status.
We are looking for a self-starter with drive and enthusiasm, who is keen to begin the next step of their career reporting on life in the lively towns of Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth and Baldock.
You be working a shift rota that includes occasional weekends and a couple of day shifts per week (late/early).
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- NCTJ preliminary qualifications
- Looking for first opportunity potentially in a newsroom
- Ability to produce sparkling copy for our newspapers and websites
- Strong digital audience awareness for content
- Able to produce video and picture content
- Excellent news judgement
- Great ideas for print and digital platforms
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary up to £17,160
- Full 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual Volunteer work day
- Archant Gold – matched charity fundraising
- Give as You Earn – tax-free charity giving scheme
- Structured career progression, ongoing training and personal performance reviews
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your completed application to email@example.com
Please note that if you have not been invited in for an interview within two weeks of your application, then you can assume on this occasion that you have been unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to change the closing date at any time during the recruitment process, so please apply asap as we will be dealing with applications as soon as they arrive.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position