The transport correspondent ensures the Daily Telegraph’s coverage of transport and travel, including topics such as rail strikes, flight delays and motoring trends, is comprehensive and of the highest standard.
They are responsible for finding and writing stories relating to the transport and travel industry and are expected to source exclusives and write features when required. They should build and maintain a strong network of relevant industry contacts.
They will write stories for the newspaper and the Daily Telegraph website, with an understanding of how best to present stories online. The transport correspondent also works closely with news editors, other news reporters and specialists, and other journalists across the newspaper.
- The transport correspondent is expected to provide high-quality, accurate coverage of the transport and travel industry and to bring in exclusive news stories.
- The successful candidate for this role will progress to writing front-page stories and articles which lead the website.
- They are responsible for helping to plan for and produce stories for key dates or announcements.
- They are expected to write accurate, clear and concise news stories in house style.
- They are expected to meet tight deadlines and to organise their schedule around the deadline demands of the newsroom.
- Under pressure, they are expected to identify the best line for a potential story and relay that information to news editors clearly and concisely.
- They are responsible for ensuring stories are accurate and legally compliant.
- They are expected to have an understanding of the stories which attract readers online and that readers and subscribers to the Daily Telegraph are interested in. Through their articles, they will help the company reach its goal of attracting and retaining more subscribers online.
- Experience working within the newsroom of a national media organisation or equivalent is essential. It is essential that those with a general reporting background demonstrate an ability to find exclusive stories and develop contacts.
- The ability to write clear, accurate copy is essential.
- A proven ability to develop sources and contacts is essential.
- It is essential that candidates are able to process large amounts of detailed information quickly and accurately.
- It is essential to be highly organised and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously while effectively prioritising different tasks.
- It is essential to be a strong verbal communicator, who is able to explain stories succinctly and clearly to editors.
- Knowledge of how best to present stories online is desirable.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you will also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Level 3 Disability Confident Leader as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position