The trending team is a relatively new addition to CNN Digital and is a crack team of highly driven storytellers with one goal: stories that sing and content that's smartly packaged, socially shared and sparks conversations.
As a digital producer on this team, you will be thinking mobile-first as you pitch and write compelling stories with accuracy, urgency and flair. The successful candidate for this role will understand what makes highly engaging and shareable digital stories that interest audiences on different platforms in different parts of the world.
Applicants should have a deep understanding of how stories travel on the internet, feel comfortable with all major social media networks and know their way around key listening tools like Crowdtangle, Tweetdeck and Google Trends.
What you’ll be doing:
- Pitches and writes stories and content that gives CNN a distinctive voice and a competitive edge in the digital news arena. We are looking for someone innovative, full of creative ideas and multi-skilled in digital production.
- Writes daily trending spot and feature stories, primarily focused on Europe, the Middle East and Africa for CNN’s digital platforms.
- Able to juggle multiple listening tools and make editors aware of trending subjects or topics across verticals.
- Files clean, clear and engaging copy that explains to readers not only what is happening but why.
- Knows how to smartly frame a story and can suggest clever, compelling and accurate headlines.
- Adaptable to different styles of writing depending on the subject and platform.
- Has a solid understanding and passion for web and popular culture.
- Contributes story ideas at daily editorial meetings.
- Ensures all content adheres to CNN standards and integrity.
What we’re looking for:
- Track record of writing trending or breaking news stories at a global or national media outlet.
- Comfortable working well under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Experience of reporting out stories themselves, not just aggregating other outlets or using wire services.
- Deep knowledge of the international news agenda and a curiosity to keep learning. Experience writing about style, travel a bonus.
- Knows how to use the key listening tools to find trending news topics and stories.
- Strong technical capabilities including working on different Content Management Systems and news operating systems.
- Perfect grasp of written and spoken English.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Understanding of journalistic standards and media law.
- Self-starter with a history of delivering outstanding results.
What’s on offer:
As you might expect, this role comes with a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits and perks, including private medical, generous pension contribution and is eligible for company bonus. You’ll have 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) and we’ll also give you 40 hours per year for you to use for volunteering or charitable work. On top of this, you’ll have access to regular in-house screenings, well-being and fitness programs and events.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position