News has changed. More than ever before broadcasters and websites are relying on everyday people to capture video of breaking news events, weather, nature and sports. Newsflare licenses video from the public to broadcasters, publishers, news agencies, production companies, advertising agencies and brands across 30 countries. We have mobile and web platforms that allow our contributors to upload video, whilst our tech platform ensures the video is presented to the most interested buying audience based on behavioural analytics.
After launching in 2012, we grew to break-even before securing a multi-million pound VC investment at the end of 2016. With plans to grow the team to more than 40 across the UK and US in the near future, and having moved into a cool new office space in Farringdon, now is a great time to be joining the Newsflare family.
The core function of the UGC Journalist is to discover compelling video with speed, both from our member base of filmers, who are uploading to our platform, as well as from non-members via the social web.
The UGC Journalist must strive to keep Newsflare video at the forefront of trends by having an excellent grasp of what makes the most engaging video as well as working quickly to obtain them. This role has a particular emphasis on viral video but the successful candidate will also be expected to secure the most important videos dominating the day’s news agenda. A key skill is to ensure that we are establishing the originality and veracity of the video.
Reporting to the Head of News, the UGC Journalist is a pivotal member of the video desk team and will assist the Head of News in subbing stories in snappy, agency-style copy. Therefore native-level English writing skills - including impeccable grammar and strong editorial judgement - are a must.
The role is target-driven and the successful applicant will be expected to make a significant contribution to hitting team KPIs.
- Discover compelling videos via the social web
- Review content being sent in from existing members
- Use judgment, fact-checking and a range of tools to verify video
- Use social media (and any other means) to contact the owners of videos and acquire them for Newsflare
- Write clear agency-style news copy
- Use Adobe Premiere to perform simple edits, where necessary
- Support the Head of News and the Deputy Head of News
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent knowledge of the social web, video platforms and social communication tools
- Digital native with great eye for video
- Experience working on a fast-paced video desk desirable
- Excellent writing skills
- A passion for viral video and the social web
- Additional languages a plus
- Strong team-working skills
At Newsflare we believe that work should be fun! It's a commonly known fact that we spend more time at work than we do at home with our friends and families. With this being the case, Newsflare is proud to offer a relaxed, fun and inclusive work environment where all ideas are taken on-board. We offer:
- Competitive salaries and pension
- 25 days holiday
- Monthly pub quiz night and 5-a-side football team
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org