Newsflare believes in the power of video to tell incredible stories. And we believe in the power of our community and team to deliver the best video content to tell those stories.
Every day, people around the world film amazing videos. Newsflare connects the media to the best eyewitness and trending videos and the people creating them.
With offices in London, Los Angeles and Hong Kong, Newsflare continues to grow and has become a mainstay in the video licensing industry around the world.
The newsdesk at Newsflare needs a UGC Journalist who can discover and deliver the most compelling trending video quickly and efficiently.
Reporting to the Head of News, we want someone who can spot amazing videos, editorial trends and great stories that our clients want to cover. This means the videos you will be chasing might range from terrorist attacks in European capitals to the craziest animal sightings, strangest weather phenomena or cutest baby videos.
You will be a digital native with old-school journalism smarts. Two core skills are rights clearance and verification. Our clients rely on us to make sure every clip we send to them has been through rigorous verification checks. You will need to establish that the video is what it purports to be and verify your source. You will also need to obtain permission from the rights holder. You will help the newsdesk keep on top of the latest verification techniques.
It is essential that you are able to write stories in punchy, agency-style copy. Therefore, native-level English writing skills - including impeccable grammar and punctuation skills - and a strong editorial judgement are a must. You will have strong people skills that enables you to tease out the story behind these videos by talking to the filmer.
Newsflare licenses amazing video content, but we’re a tech business at heart. This means you’ll be product-minded and relish the chance to work with the tech and product teams to shape our platform and app and the suite of Newsflare’s client-facing products, helping our clients discover the content they need, when they need it.
You’ll also have the confidence and ability to look at how we do things and tell us how we can do them better. We love ideas and every person at Newsflare contributes to the company moving forward.
Building and maintaining new content leads is an important function of this role. To this end, you will manage Newsflare’s growing community of members and content partners - our colleagues on the ground in various corners of the globe, each with their own network of stringers tasked with discovering.
A solid grasp of media law is required.
Knowledge of other languages is also an advantage.
The role is target-driven and you will be expected to hit or exceed KPIs as a team.
- discover compelling videos via the social web
- review content being uploaded to our platform from existing members
- use judgement, fact-checking and a range of tools to verify video
- use social media and any other means to contact filmers
- understand journalism law, including copyright, privacy and ethics
- use Adobe Premiere to edit videos, where necessary
- write clear agency-style news copy
The successful candidate will:
- have an excellent knowledge of the social web, video platforms and social communication tools
- be a digital native with great eye for video
- have excellent writing skills
- be tech savvy and product-minded, plus have the confidence to work with technology to get the products you need to maximise your impact
- be a true people person – you’ll love building long-term relationships with our clients and partners
- have energy, enthusiasm and a true can-do attitude. Your day-to-day energy will be what makes you a success!
- ideally have experience of video editing software
- ideally be fluent in more than one language
At Newsflare we believe that work should be fun and we’re proud to offer a relaxed, open and inclusive office environment where all ideas are taken on board.
- Competitive salary, incentives and pension
- 25 days per year annual leave
- Weekly team beers and plenty of social events
How to apply:
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position