We are looking for an experienced video journalist to join us working for the Daily Record.
Our video journalists are responsible for making sure our titles are doing more than just reporting the news - we are recording local life too. Through words, pictures and video, you will reach large audiences with content which goes behind the headlines, celebrates local life and which keeps readers on our websites for longer. A key part of this role is creating social media video content to tell the stories that matter, increase engagement and reach out to our online audience on different platforms.
This role will be mix of home and office working.
So, who are we?
The Daily Record is part of Reach Plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to Scotland and the UK's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers, from the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to the Scottish Daily Express, Glasgow Live, Edinburgh Live and OK!. We also own a huge number of regional titles across the UK such as the Paisley Daily Express, Ayrshire Post, Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more).
Our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Creating video content for social media to increase engagement and reach across all platforms
- Use video, photos and words to tell compelling stories about local life
- Act as advocate for video in newsroom - liaise with newsdesk, writers and photographers to ensure footage is shot to tell stories digitally
- Use effective social searches and social media savvy to source video that gets readers talking and sharing our content
- Find and tell stories about local communities which engages as many readers as possible, or stories which will be of interest to local communities
- To create compelling, original, shareable video-led stories for publication across our web, mobile, app and social platforms
- Understand legal and copyright issues around sourcing, filming and publishing video
- Build communities online and in real life to share stories with once published, and engaged with readers about those stories
- Ensure every piece of content is thoroughly researched and balanced prior to publication, in accordance with the Editor's Code of Practice
- Act up or cover in other roles as and when required by the business
- Uphold Reach's policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure our values around non discrimination are upheld in everything we publish.
The ideal candidate
- Video and photography editing skills - Premiere Pro experience
- Able to take pictures and footage shot by our news team and turn them into compelling packages telling the stories that matter
- Excellent reporting skills to use journalistic nous to find the stories that matter - and be able to tell them
- Digital publishing skills - working a CMS, shooting video, taking pictures
- Have a brilliant understanding of how video works on social media
- Strong ability to write as well as shoot video and take pictures
- Social media skills - following on social media, track record of building communities on social media
- Passion for digital storytelling in local journalism
- Driving licence
- NCTJ or equivalent qualification
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and 10 years' service with Reach, you will accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Enhanced maternity, partner and shared parental leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on diversity and inclusion. We have launched six networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position