What is it? An app for producing 360-degree photographs on your mobile device.
Devices: iOS and Android
How is it of use to journalists? Sphere allows reporters to take a 360-degree snapshot of their surroundings – useful for journalists out in the field who want to share their environment with an audience on social media, or colleagues back in the newsroom.
How does it work? After logging in with your email or Facebook details, browse through the wide variety of uploads by other users or create a new 'Sphere' by hitting the record button.
The app gives you an opportunity to capture footage in either 'Easy' or 'Pro' mode, with different recording options.
In Easy mode, users record their surroundings in brushstrokes, simply moving their device around as if they were painting the scene with their phone.
In Pro mode, users align their device with a series of on-screen dots, in which the app captures snapshots of the area and then stitches them together.
Once you've finished recording, the app takes approximately 30 seconds to processes the 360-degree photo, and is then available to share to your Facebook or Twitter account, or send on via email.
Free daily newsletter
- Want to discover more constructive journalism stories? This app curates them in one place
- App for journalists: Emulsio, for stabilising shaky camera footage
- App for journalists: Impresso, for creating animated posts for Instagram
- App for journalists: Doubletake, for recording both sides of an interview on smartphone
- App for journalists: PhotoGrid, for creating eye-catching images on Instagram