Following private sector competition complaints in Philip Graf's 2004 review of the corporation's online services, the BBC introduced Newstracker, which adds to many pages links to equivalent stories published elsewhere around the web.
"Last month, newstrackers prompted 1,487,860 click-throughs to outside news sites, up from 847,816 in June," wrote editor Pete Clifton.
Free daily newsletter
- What will the next decade look like for journalism?
- BBC Shared Data Unit inspires data journalism teams across the UK to collaborate on public interest stories
- Weekly journalism news update: 'automated journalism', sustainable newsrooms and Newsrewired
- BBC calls on Ofcom to help with transition from the analogue era to the digital world
- Six tips to improve the audio quality of your podcast