The Guardian's web site, which won the web site of the year award, was described as being "ahead of the pack", "full of tremendous journalism" and a "stylish and pace-setting site with a distinctive character and sense of humour".
It overcame competition from BBC News Online, FT.com, telegraph.co.uk, ananova.com and femail.co.uk.
The site also produced the best online journalist of the year, in Dan Milmo. He was competing against Charlotte Harding from Associated New Media, Matthew Tempest from The Guardian, Robert Cottrell from the Financial Times, Ryan Dilley from BBC Sport News and Tom Fordyce from BBC Sport Online.
Free daily newsletter
- 7 tips for students seeking journalism work experience
- Television... but for radio: The secret of Serial's success
- Listen: Expert advice for audio journalism in the 21st century
- Watch: Mobile tips from the BBC, BuzzFeed, Al Jazeera
- Tips for live coverage of breaking news from the BBC and Reported.ly