Faisal Islam on the social media panel at news:rewired - full stream ahead
But he said the broadcaster has possibly been "quite Twitter focused so far" and having discussed other platforms such as Facebook, Tumblr and image sharing sites, he added that Channel 4 News should "be embracing all these things".
In the video below (filmed by the BBC College of Journalism) he talks to news:rewired blogger Elena Cresci about the broadcaster's approach to social media, and outlines his tips for digital journalists, as presented during the event's social media session.
- Be interesting
- Be social
- Be yourself
He also added that there is also a need at times to "be a little bit careful" when using social media.
Free daily newsletter
- Tip: Check out this Facebook group connecting freelancers with celebrities and publicists
- Tool for journalists: Trends24, for monitoring popular topics on Twitter
- Tip: Remember this advice for creating more engaging Instagram posts
- Tip: How to use social media analytics to find new angles on stories
- 'We are in an information war' – How journalists can begin to tackle the misinformation ecosystem