The 'have your say' feature has been nominated for the AOP's innovation award alongside VNU's Newsgator aggregator, the Guardian blogs and Q4Music.com's blog.
It is the first time that blogs and user-generated content have been shortlisted for the annual awards, which celebrate the best of the UK's web publishing.
AOP director Alexandra White told journalism.co.uk that innovation in the industry is still driven primarily by users, as audiences are becoming increasingly sophisticated and demanding of web publishers.
"Everyone likes to be noticed as leading the field and embracing new trends," Ms White told journalism.co.uk.
"But above all the innovation with new publishing tools and formats is being driven by user demand for new kinds of content and services, delivered in ways that are targeted and convenient for them."
Other services nominated for the innovation prize include Sun Online's video news service, the Scotsman's digital archive and Blinkx.tv, a video and TV search tool.
Awards categories are reviewed every year, although Ms White said it is unlikely blogs would be given their own dedicated category for the 2006 awards.
Winners will be announced on 7 October after the AOP's annual conference at London's Hilton Park Lane hotel.
AOP is also hosting a forum on blogs and user-generated content on 21 September featuring Dave Killeen, Associated New Media's head of communities and New Scientist executive editor Karl Schneider.
More news from journalism.co.uk:
Q&A: Alex White (formerly Daley), director of the AOP
Hollywood stifles innovation, says Gillmor
AOP to sharpen its cutting edge
Free daily newsletter
- Jemima Villanueva, executive director EMEA at The Atlantic, on what makes an award-winning podcast
- What makes a successful news and current affairs podcast?
- Election coverage: stop focusing on rival party leaders and start listening to local communities
- Weekly journalism news update: artificial intelligence, podcast ad revenue and 'audience canvas'
- Words By Women returns in protest of gender imbalance at the British Journalism Awards