The Master of Science in Journalism and Computer Science is part of a collaboration between the journalism school and the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science.
According to the course page on the university website, students will receive "highly specialised training in the digital environment", offering a balance of technical and editorial skills.
The program aims to provide new journalists with computer-reporting and news gathering skills as well as production abilities in digital media, claiming it aims to "use the content of one discipline to inform the execution of the other".
"Graduates of this dual-degree program will be trained to become leaders in digital media production and innovation. Possible career paths include:
- online editor/manager of information technology at a large news organization;
- data-mining expert for journalistic applications and investigative journalist;
- entrepreneur/founder of media startup;
- web designer for news site."
Free daily newsletter
- Why data journalism is a civic duty in developing countries
- Many newsrooms have data teams but few reporters have formal data training, study finds
- Tip: Bookmark these examples of using data in video storytelling
- Tool for journalists: Enigma Public, for finding and analysing public datasets
- The Bureau Local held a hack day in five cities to investigate voter power ahead of the UK election