It has also announced that it has launched 'Flipboard TV', which consists of curated video sections.
The app, which is available for iPad, iPhone and Android and has 1.5 million daily users, encourages people to connect their Facebook, Twitter and other social networks, and delivers a page-turning magazine-like experience.
The 'TV' pages of videos are "powered by popular YouTube channels", Flipboard states in a blog post, and are organised into topics, such as 'cooking', 'news' and 'catwalk'.
According to Flipboard, 'News TV' allows users to "stay updated on current events via leading news outlets".
"Get storm and earthquake alerts from Associated Press and ABC News. CBS News follows the 2012 presidential campaigns and Al Jazeera provides international news," the post states.
Users could access both video and audio via Flipboard prior to the launch of Flipboard TV. The new TV sections can be added by following the links on this announcement blog post.
Other stats announced by Flipboard include that Sunday is the most popular day for people to use Flipboard on a tablet; Thursday is the most popular day for use of the app on a phone. The peak use time is 10 to 11pm in the evening.
Free daily newsletter
- 5 iOS apps for adding subtitles to your social media news packages
- App for journalists: Signal, for securely communicating with sources
- Tool for journalists: Biteable, for making video animations on the web
- App for journalists: Cameo, a quick video editor for iOS
- Tip: Bookmark this advice for filming with drones