Google Video is running as a beta, or trial, version and trawls through a selection of shows that Google began indexing in December 2004. Current sources include broadcasters Fox News, the NBA, PBS and C-SPAN.
Users search by keyword and the engine returns up to five video stills and relevant text sections in a preview page.
"What Google did for the web, Google Video aims to do for television," said Google co-founder Larry Page.
"Users can search the content of TV programs for anything, see relevant thumbnails, and discover where and when to watch matching television programmes."
More news from dotJournalism:
Online publishers rail against Google
New products from Google
Hacks slate Google news
Free daily newsletter
- “Hey Google, tell me something good”
- Google is giving $6.5 million to fact-checkers focusing on coronavirus
- Half of publishers bet on reader revenue as their main income stream in 2020
- Weekly journalism news update: design thinking, mobile journalism for local news and UK data units
- Facebook and Google team up with INSI to fight online harassment of journalists