Johnson will retain his role as head of news, business and sport, and will work under editor Alan Rusbridger across print and online.
The publisher has also named Ian Katz and Katharine Viner as deputy editors of the Guardian.
Katz, who will continue to lead the development of the Guardian's environment website, will be Monday to Friday editor, while Viner will take on the role of Saturday editor.
The editorial changes are in preparation for the group's move to new offices near Kings Cross in London at the end of the year, a press release said.
Johnson, Katz and Viner will take up their new roles in mid to late September.
Free daily newsletter
- The Guardian is taking audiences into London’s Victorian sewers with new virtual reality experience
- Advice from 10 news organisations to help you tailor your story pitches
- 5 key considerations for ethical virtual reality storytelling
- The Guardian relaunches its documentaries section to feature longer films
- The Guardian is 'putting the interactive back into interactive journalism' with RioRun