Further details of new campaigning website 'Independent Voices' will be announced shortlyCredit: Tim Ireland/PA
Evgeny Lebedev told the Financial Times' digital media conference in London today that the new site, which will be called "Independent Voices" will enable visitors to the site "to have a voice" and share in opinion and debates on issues.
He said that the site will be supported by advertising and will be focused in the UK "for now", but that it will "definitely have an international focus".
He declined to go into further details about how the site will be staffed ahead of an official announcement.
Appearing on a panel at the conference about the future of digital journalism and news, Lebedev also spoke about ethical issues currently facing the industry.
He said he was "very proud to say my journalists and editors have always behaved ethically" under his leadership.
"I am very confident on the ethics of journalists' behaviour and as a business model we can sustain ethical journalism for years to come."
Free daily newsletter
- ABC: Guardian and Indy daily web traffic grows, other titles struggle in September
- NRS: Most of national audience now mobile-only at 4 UK newspapers
- Over half of Mirror and Indy UK audience is mobile-only
- ABC: Big drops in web traffic to UK titles in February
- NRS: Indy had highest share of UK audience from mobile in Sept