Christopher Pierson emailed 35 people through bulletin boards on the Sky News website, telling relatives and friends that their loved ones had died.
District Judge Daphne Wickham said Mr Pierson had caused his victims 'indescribable' pain and anguish.
He admitted causing a public nuisance and one charge under the Malicious Communications Act at a hearing at Bow Street Magistrates.
More news from dotJournalism:
Sky 'disgusted' by tsunami email hoax
Bloggers throw lifeline
Email reunites toddler
Sea change for citizen news
Free daily newsletter
- UK parliament told the media needs greater covid-19 data transparency
- Ed Conway, economics editor at Sky News, on data and AR in the US election coverage
- Need data for your next story? This tool can get you the stats before the official figures are out
- Sky News and BuzzFeed UK collaborate on livestreaming UK general election 2019 overnight show
- ‘We need to use smartphones smartly’: key takeaways from Asia's first mobile journalism conference