According to The Guardian, the UK's second largest regional newspaper group said it would roll out a trial at the Preston-based Lancashire Evening Post.
The Preston newsroom - home to 50 journalists - has been reorganised so that reporters can file video stories for streaming on the website.
Johnston Press, which owns more than 300 titles, has invested hundreds of thousands of pounds on the Preston newsroom - including hiring four new employees.
It plans to roll out the integrated newsroom across an estimated 70 other offices nationwide next year.
Johnston's 20 daily titles will become digital newsrooms and a further 50 newspaper offices will serve as digital hubs for papers their area.
Free daily newsletter
- NRS: More than 70% of The Independent's UK audience reads the title only on mobile
- Inside RioRun, the Guardian's first interactive podcast
- Podcasts, eyewitness media and new models in digital publishing: Highlights from newsrewired
- #Brexit round-up: How the British media is covering the aftermath of the EU referendum
- After Snowden, there is clear evidence of a paradigmatic shift in journalist-source relations