According to The Guardian, the UK's second largest regional newspaper group said it would roll out a trial at the Preston-based Lancashire Evening Post.
The Preston newsroom - home to 50 journalists - has been reorganised so that reporters can file video stories for streaming on the website.
Johnston Press, which owns more than 300 titles, has invested hundreds of thousands of pounds on the Preston newsroom - including hiring four new employees.
It plans to roll out the integrated newsroom across an estimated 70 other offices nationwide next year.
Johnston's 20 daily titles will become digital newsrooms and a further 50 newspaper offices will serve as digital hubs for papers their area.
Free daily newsletter
- How memberships and subscription models drive business growth
- How the Guardian's supporters helped save the newspaper
- How the Guardian commissions access-driven documentaries
- Five lessons from the Guardian's membership strategy, three years on
- Newsrewired podcast: Memberships and alternative business models to support local democracy