According to The Guardian, the UK's second largest regional newspaper group said it would roll out a trial at the Preston-based Lancashire Evening Post.
The Preston newsroom - home to 50 journalists - has been reorganised so that reporters can file video stories for streaming on the website.
Johnston Press, which owns more than 300 titles, has invested hundreds of thousands of pounds on the Preston newsroom - including hiring four new employees.
It plans to roll out the integrated newsroom across an estimated 70 other offices nationwide next year.
Johnston's 20 daily titles will become digital newsrooms and a further 50 newspaper offices will serve as digital hubs for papers their area.
Free daily newsletter
- WOW247 platform relaunches for 'young, urbanite audience'
- How can journalists improve reader attention time?
- 6 social media trends for publishers from Johnston Press
- 'Without humanity, data alone is meaningless': Data journalism insights from the Guardian
- Johnston Press launches first digital-led title